Every year our family looks forward to our Christmas dinner. Prime rib with horseradish sauce, elegant holiday potatoes, strawberry spinach salad, French green beans, fresh baguettes & Crème Brulee for dessert. As the holiday is fast approaching I wanted to share with you two of my favorite recipes, strawberry spinach salad & my elegant holiday potatoes. At Easter we make these two recipes served with ham. By the way, the strawberry spinach salad recipe is my all-time most requested recipe ever!
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon grated onion (opt.)
- 1 ½ teaspoons poppy seeds
Shake until blended- set aside.
Measure 1/3 cup sugar, set next to the dressing above (you’ll be adding it to the dressing just before serving)
- 1 large bag spinach- triple washed
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- ½ cup cashew pieces
- 1 cup (+) fresh sliced strawberries
- 2-3 Granny Smith apples-(pears work great too!) Peeled & chopped-make sure this is done last so your apples don’t turn brown.
Mix together in a glass bowl. Add your sugar to the dressing, re-shake & add to salad.
- 7-8 Medium Red Potatoes
- (about 2 ¼ pounds)
- 8 Ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 /4 Cup Chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Pint Whipping Cream (2 cups)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter- softened
Boil potatoes in jackets, cool; peel & slice by hand . Shred Cheese. Spray 2- quart Casserole or 9 x 13 pan. Alternate layers of Potatoes, Onion & Cheese in Casserole. Sprinkle with Salt. Pour Cream over Potato-cheese layers. Dot with Butter. Bake partially covered with foil for 55-65 Minutes at 350 °.
Serve this with Prime Rib as well as Sliced Ham.